Is Your Hair Part Causing Problems? You Can Still Reverse Them
Is your hair part widening? Here are tips on narrowing the gap.
One of the most common issues associated with a person’s hair part is balding. If you try parting your hair on the opposite side, you’ll probably notice that the scalp line is narrower and more pronounced. Hair parts tend to widen over the years; they are a common result of hair loss and may be a symptom of a bigger problem. Here’s how you can stop it.
What Causes Hair Part Widening?
Hair part widening is more common in women, but it can also happen to men () as an onset of male pattern baldness. This hereditary type of hair loss usually begins with a receding hairline or a bald spot on the top of the head, according to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD).
It usually comes with age, when hair growth slows down and hair follicles stop growing hair. However, other factors can cause hair part widening. These include using thick and heavy products without cleansing properly, pulling at your scalp with a cap or helmet that’s too tight, or untreated scalp infections.
What You Can Do About It
Catching it early is essential. If you notice any of the symptoms above — hair part widening, receding hairline, or bald spot on the top of the head — you can make small adjustments to encourage regrowth or delay the hair loss process.
• Treat any scalp issues. Scalp issues such as , scalp infection, or psoriasis can cause itching and, therefore, scratching. This can damage the hair follicles and contribute to baldness, accelerating male pattern hair loss. Treating any scalp issues is essential if you want to keep your hair healthy. Talk to a doctor for treatment or symptom maintenance. CLEAR Cool Sport Menthol Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for Men can also help you manage dandruff and maintain a healthy scalp.
• Use the right products. If you have dandruff, using dandruff shampoo is a no-brainer. However, if you just want to keep your hair healthy, you can help fortify your scalp as well as your hair with Dove Men+Care Strengthening Shampoo. Infused with caffeine and calcium, it is formulated specifically to make men’s hair thicker and fuller by strengthening each strand from the root.
• Use camouflaging products. Camouflaging products such as root hair color sprays can help instantly address your widening hair part and give you your confidence back. They are affordable, easy to use, and easy to wash off, so you can apply as needed. You could also try parting your hair differently to give your hair roots a rest.
• Avoid heavy oils and styling products. Many styling products such as . Frequent use of these products can lead to buildup on the scalp, clogging the hair follicle. It can contribute to hair fall and even impede hair growth. Cleanse your scalp properly by lightly massaging it when you shampoo. Rinse well.
• Avoid friction and pulling. You could trigger traction alopecia if you regularly wear a cap, a helmet, or a headband. Repeated friction and trauma on the hair follicles cause this form of hair loss. According to the British Association of Dermatologists, you can reverse traction alopecia if the hair follicles aren’t permanently damaged. Try giving head accessories a rest to relieve your scalp from friction.
If your hair part is widening, take it as an early symptom of hair loss but don’t panic! You can still reverse the damage by observing the practices above and switching up your scalp care routine.