3 Basic Exercise Principles for Fitness Noobs
Even the most basic exercise program can have a ton of health benefits.
One of the best things you can do for your health is to engage in regular exercise. However, for beginners, adding exercise into your daily routine — and sticking to it — takes a lot of determination and discipline. That said, here are some things you need to know about basic exercise for beginners.
Benefits of Regular Exercise
Studies show that performing regular exercise has a . According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, everyone can benefit from daily physical activity, whatever your weight, age, abilities, or size. Some of its positive effects include the following:
- Uplifts your mood
- Gives you more energy
- Improves sleep
- Increases bone density
- Achieves and maintains a healthy muscle mass
- Achieves and maintains a healthy body weight
- Reduces your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer
Types of Exercise
come in different forms — even beginner . These workouts are effective because they target different muscle groups. Here are some basic exercise programs to consider:
- Aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercises are activities that can help with cardiovascular conditioning. These include exercises like brisk walking, swimming, , or cycling.
- Strength-conditioning exercises. These exercises can help . Some of the basic strength exercises you can do are resistance training, weightlifting, and sprinting.
- Calisthenics. Calisthenics is an exercise that targets large muscle groups. These include activities such as lunges, situps, pushups, and pullups.
- Balance or stability exercises. Balance exercises strengthen your muscles and improve overall body coordination. Some of the workouts in this category are tai chi, Pilates, and core-strengthening exercises like crunches.
- Flexibility exercises. Flexibility exercises are meant to maintain and improve one’s range of motion, help muscle recovery, and prevent physical injuries. One popular exercise that belongs in this category is yoga.
For beginners who are just starting with their fitness journeys, experts from the American College of Exercise recommend : aerobic exercise, strength conditioning, and flexibility training. Exercises from these categories can be mixed and matched depending on your needs. To get the best results possible, consider hiring a personal trainer who can tailor a workout program that’s specific to your needs.
No matter what program you might find yourself in, you should always have products like Rexona Men Quantum Dry Roll-on Antiperspirant Deodorant in your arsenal. Formulated with MotionSense Technology, it has microcapsules that release a fragrant, woody scent with friction. The more you move, the more you stay fresh and dry.
Maintain a Healthy Diet
A fitness program won’t be as effective if you don’t have a healthy diet or follow a generally . However, a healthy diet does not mean eating less food. It's always about quality, not quantity. Care to consume healthy and nutritious food as much as possible. Follow these healthy-eating tips to maximize your basic exercise program.
- Go for nutrient-dense foods like salmon, kale, eggs, berries, and potatoes. These foods will supply you with your much-needed nutrients while keeping you fueled for your workouts.
- Mind your macros. Macros, or macronutrients, refer to the carbohydrates, fats, and protein you get from food. An ideal diet has these macros in perfect balance.
- Avoid over-processed foods. Fast food and highly processed products like soda, mass-produced baked goods, and other snack foods contain high amounts of ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. These can wreak havoc on your body, as well as negate any positive effects you might have gained from your workouts.
- . Workouts can make you lose a lot of water through sweating, which means you should always have water by your side.
Just like with your exercise programs, it is best if you work with a registered dietitian. They can help you develop a sustainable, nutritious eating plan that works for your needs.
It’s never too late to get into fitness. Even if you’re just starting with basic exercise programs and home workouts, just stay focused on your goals, stay disciplined, and your hard work will pay off in due time.